The Museum of the Cherokee Indian does not provide research on genealogy. Many people claim a Cherokee ancestor from the Removal era, about 1830. To trace Cherokee ancestry, we recommend the following resources and individuals who will conduct research for you for a fee.
Membership in the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians is closed except to those eighteen years of age or under who can prove that they have an ancestor on the Baker Roll of 1924 and who can prove that they are at least 1/16th Cherokee by blood. The Cherokee Nation in Oklahoma has their own rolls and requirements, as does the United Ketoowah Band. Both are federally recognized tribes.
Bob and Pam Blankenship
P.O. Box 265
Cherokee NC 28719
- Cherokee Roots Vol. 1
- By Bob Blankenship. Members of the Cherokee tribe residing east of the Mississippi River 1817-1924. Published by Cherokee Roots 1992. Softcover; 165 pp. 9" x 7" $10.00
- 1924 Baker Roll; A Cherokee Roots Publication
- By Bob Blankenship. The final roll of the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians in North Carolina. The official base roll of the E.B.C.I. Compiled and approved by Fred Baker pursuant to an Act of Congress 1924. Published by Cherokee Roots 1999. Softcover; 286 pp. plus appendices. 8" x 14" $35.00
- Dawes Roll Plus
- By Bob Blankenship. Names and application information for the Dawes Roll. A Cherokee Roots Publication. Softcover; 255 pp. $25.00
- Cherokee Proud; A Guide for Tracing and Honoring Your Cherokee Ancestors
- By Tony Mack McClure. Information about the Cherokee and how to trace your genealogy. Published by Chu-Nan-Nee Books 2nd edition 1992. Softcover; 336 pp. 9" x 6" $22.95
- Exploring Your Ancestry
- How to trace your genealogy. Published by the Cherokee Nation in Oklahoma. $12.00
- Cherokee Roots Vol. 2
- By Bob Blankenship. Lists members of the Cherokee tribe residing west of the Mississippi River. Published by Cherokee Roots 1992. Softcover; 165 pp. 9" x 7" $22.00.
- Miller Roll Plus
- By Bob Blankenship. Names and application information for the Miller Roll of the Eastern Cherokee both east and west of the Mississippi River in 1909. Published by Cherokee Roots 1994. Softcover; 276 pp. 12" x 8" $30.00
- See these Genealogy books also listed in our Gift Shop